We provide our professional customers with a direct photobook uploader
We provide professional media designer, graphic designer or photographer with our Pro-Upload function. You can design your photobook with other programs, such as InDesign, Photoshop, QuarkXPress. In order to avoid any flaws in the product, we kindly ask you to make the page design according to our requirements (see below).
Notes on Data Transmission
Data transmission/Order: You can find the new photobook uploader in our direct upload area. After uploading you can change the sequence of the pages if necessary and complete the order.
Please pay attention to following details:
- Please always use sRGB for your data.
- You can upload PDF, jpg or tiff in the Webshop (zip files are also allowed).
- Please do not place the elements directly on the bleed line. In other words, please cover the whole page or keep about 1 cm distance to the bleed line. Otherwise there would be edge halos or some important elements would be cut off.
- Minimum font sizes: Please note that font sizes differs among typefaces. Sans-serif fonts, regular or bold, should be at least 8pt (measured according to font Arial), while serif fonts at least 10 pt (measure according to Times New Roman).
If the weight of a font is "Light", the size should be at least 12pt. If the light text is against a dark background, the font size should be at least 14pt.
- Stroke width: The stroke width of lines should not go below 1pt.
- Please leave no register marks or crop marks!
- The specified amount of pages does not include the cover (the front and back side of the cover).
- The value of bleed and joint space is always applied to one page, and therefore must be taken into consideration in every page in calender as well as in photobooks (eg. value x 2 for left and right).
- In photobooks only one image is needed for the front and back side of the cover.
- The inside of the front and back cover will also be printed. If you want it to be white, please leave the first page of the first spread and the last page of the last spread empty. (The photobook starts directly with the first spread.)
- PDF files must be optimized in Adobe Acrobat Pro (see instructions below).
- There is no certain limit to the size of the file. If your file is larger, please contact our support: support(at)saal-digital.co.uk
- Before placing the order, please couble-check all the pages carefully. In case of any problems, please contact our support. You can examine all the details in full screen. We are not responsible for any mistakes in the product, if they are already visible in the preview.
PDF-Export (recommended for InDesign and QuarkXPress users): Please always choose the option "High Quality Print" while exporting PDF. In "Output", please convert the colour space to destination Working RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1. If you use "double-page spread" function in layout programs like QuarkXPress or InDesign, please select the checkbox „Spreads“ while exporting PDF. As we receive each double-page spread in PDF as one whole page, it is not necessary to merge two PDF files. You can just upload two PDF files.
Please always optimize your PDF before the upload in order to reduce the file size as well as to convert masks, tranparency and metadata if necessary, as they might cause problems during import.
Open your PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro and select under "File -> Save as -> Optimized PDF". Please adjust the following settings:
Compatibility: "Retain existing“
- Images: here we recommend "Bicubic Downsampling to" 300 or 301 ppi for images above 300 ppi (JPEG, maximal quality)
- Fonts: please tick the checkbox “Do not unembed any font”
- Transparency: please select “High Resolution”
- Discard Objects: please tick all the checkboxes except
- Convert smooth lines to curves
- Detect and merge image fragments
- Discard User Data: please tick all the checkboxes
- Clean Up: please set object compression options to "Compress document structure" and tick all the checkboxes except
- In streams that use LZW encoding, use Flate instead
- Discard unreferenced named destinations
- Optimize the PDF for fast web view
Especially for Photoshop
If you are using photo editing programs like Photoshop, we recommend saving the double-page spreads as jpg (Quality 10). In addition, it is also possible to upload a ZIP or tiff file. Please rename your photos to sequential numbers (01..., 02..., ...), with the help of which your photobook or calendar will be automatically filled.
Export multipage PDF file from Photoshop
In CS3: In Photoshop, it is possible to save more than one document as a multipage PDF file. Please select under File -> Automate -> PDF Presentation. Click on „Add open files“ to open the files needed and then select "Multipage Document" to save all the files in one PDF.
In CS4: In CS4 this function is integrated in Adobe Bridge. Please select the needed files from the folders. Then go to the output panel (Window -> Workspace -> Output; the panel appears on the right side). Please select "PDF" and set "Template" to "Custom". Now you have to enter the accurate page size. In the tab "Layout", please set the values of margin (top, bottom...) to zero. You can ignore the tabs "Overlays", "Header", "Footer", "Playback" and "Watermark" and save the document in the end.
Especially for Scribus
Scribus 1.4.4 can embed fonts in PDF files, while other old versions do not support this function. Therefore, if you are not using the latest version, it is necessary to convert the fonts to outlines (also "convert to paths") before the export.